Sunday, 27 July 2008

Independence Day or just the 26th of July???

All of yesterday, I waited for something special. That special feeling of independence and freedom. Boy was I disappointed! Pretty stupid of me to have any expectations isn’t it? As a kid, this was one of the holidays that I most looked forward to, all that preparation, going to galolhu dhandu and having fun. When I was old enough I always participated in one of the ‘acts’ of entertainment. Somehow it made me proud to be a Maldivian. I had pride in my Nation. Which is far from what most people feel today.

Nowadays the celebration it self has become a private show for Gayoom, the public no longer able to participate and celebrate. Strictly in my opinion this happened way back when he refused to have it in Galolhu Stadium. And from the sounds of things, yesterday’s celebration was solely meant for him. What a pity!

So why are we still celebrating Independence Day? Is it still relevant? Do we still feel independent? Sure it was some sort of mark in History when Nasir signed the agreement or release or whatever from the British. But these days all I hear from the opposition is the call for the BRITISH to get involved in Maldivian affairs. We are lucky if its only the British who are involved! And then on the other hand we have Gayoom playing his cards to impress these countries. Is this what we call independence? The older child trying to appease the parent, and the younger sibling crying for milk. What a state our independence is in!

I say we get rid of the Independence Day and start looking forward to celebrating a Freedom Day instead. I am not saying its gonna happen any time soon, but I can keep hoping can’t I?